Mashed Potato and Kale Cakes
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
- 2 pounds russet potatoes (about 6), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 leek (white and light-green parts only), halved lengthwise, rinsed well, and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch kale (3/4 pound), tough stems and ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced medium
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
In a large pot, bring potatoes to a boil in salted water over high, then reduce to a rapid simmer. Add leek and kale and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 10 minutes. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
In a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium-high until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to bowl with vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. With a fork, mash potato mixture until a few lumps remain. With your hands, form into 12 patties.
Pour off fat from skillet and wipe clean; add butter and melt over medium. In batches, cook cakes until golden on both sides, about 6 minutes, flipping once.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?