Black Bean, Corn and Tomato Salad
0 made it | 0 reviews | 0 photos
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 4 ears corn, kernels removed or 2 cups frozen and thawed corn kernels
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 ounces jicama, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar or 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Salad: In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, salt, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper, if using. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes until soft. Add the corn kernels and bay leaf. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the broth and black beans. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and jicama and stir until warmed through, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat.
Dressing: In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, lime juice, agave nectar (or maple syrup, if using), lemon zest, and lime zest. Whisk in the olive oil until the mixture is smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Remove the bay leaf and put the salad in a serving bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve warm or at room temperature.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?