1 1/2 pounds medium local beets (about 4; 2 1/2 pounds with greens), trimmed, leaving 1 inch of stems attached
2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons sugar (try subbing honey!)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
1. Cover beets generously with water in a heavy medium saucepan and simmer until tender when pierced in center with a knife, 30 to 45 minutes.
2. Drain in a colander and cool to warm, then slip off skins.
3. Cut beets into 1/4-inch slices.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar, onion, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
5. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking, then add warm beets and parsley and toss.
6. Season with additional sugar and salt.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature.
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?